GDB front-end for SimH

Maciej W. Rozycki macro at linux-mips.org
Tue Apr 24 19:14:00 CDT 2018

On Tue, 24 Apr 2018, Paul Koning via cctalk wrote:

> One drawback is that there aren't all that many SIMH architectures that
> have GDB support.  VAX does, and Alpha; that's about it.  I don't know
> how hard it is to do a basic platform in GDB, probably not all that
> difficult.  At least for machines like PDP-11.  One's complement might
> be harder (PDP-1), never mind things like the IBM 1620...  :-)

 You need target BFD and libopcodes support for a GDB port to be possible.
There is such support already present for PDP-11, so wiring in GDB parts
should be straightforward.  A remote protocol stub for SimH should also be
easy to write as you don't need all the fancy stuff and GDB will be happy
to work with just the `?', `G', `M', `c', `g', `m' request packets and the
`S' stop reply packet implemented.  The rest is optional.

 HTH,

  Maciej