Speed now & then (Space and time?)

ben bfranchuk at jetnet.ab.ca
Wed Apr 11 16:48:20 CDT 2018

On 4/11/2018 9:40 AM, Liam Proven wrote:
> On 1 April 2018 at 00:26, ben via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>>
>> But that is the old fly in the ointment, other software may not be avilable.
>
> It is, you know.

Smart ass response:
	Who pirated it for you.

>> I do run windows
>
> Why?

The FREE fpga development software is only under windows.

>> and real text screen UNIX is not aviable anymore.
>
> Sure it is.

I have a nice 18 bit cpu here, with only a few hardware bugs.
Hmm would it work better if I change that around ideas.

Care to point to a nice 18 bit version of unix or C.
BTW The cpu has a frame pointer S but no S++ --S operations
so pushing and popping wild data is not a option.

> I mean, there are even text-only distros, such as INX:
>
> http://inx.maincontent.net/
>
> ... and ADRIANE, a spinoff of Knoppix:
>
> http://www.knopper.net/knoppix-adriane/index-en.html

But my hardware (LOW density SD card) is 256 9 bit charaters per
block for disk I/O.

> But you can install Debian, Ubuntu or openSUSE in text-only mode with
> no GUI if you wish. All the console-mode tools you could want are
> available: web browsers, email and chat clients, twitter clients,
> music players, etc.

I still have to finish Tomb Raider 1 under DOS(box) First.

> Go the whole hog and install Slackware and go back to installing from
> tarballs if you wish.
>
> I'd probably suggest openSUSE as the YaST admin tool works in text
> mode, so you don't need to know your way around a hundred config files
> -- YaST will do that for you.

WHAT HAPPEND TO * MINUX VERSION #1 *.
Ben.

PS: I do have a better OS kicking around, Oberon but I need a extra
screen and keyboard for it.
PPS:

Software efficiency halves every 18 months, compensating Moore's law