P112

Fred Cisin cisin at xenosoft.com
Sun Apr 8 20:02:55 CDT 2018

On Sun, 8 Apr 2018, allison via cctalk wrote:
> OR used a straight cable and people used the drive select.

THAT's the approach if users are smart enough to read simple instructions
and follow them.

Unfortunately,
SOME users, or store technicians, are not smart enough to handle it.
AND, PC dominated the market so thoroughly that some drives are shipped
hardwired to PC jumpering, so for anything other than B:, it may be
necessary to cut and solder to switch back to normal jumpers.

>> SMC 37C651.  Supports  500 Kb/s, 300 Kb/s and 250 Kb/s Data Rates.
>> Something else we lost with the PC.
> The 37C651 is 765 variant,  so any PC should be able to create a
> compatible disk.
> Least for my CP/M systems its never been an issue.  considering I'e used
> 8/5.25/3.5 drives
> on the same boxes it should not be a big deal.

Some excellent tips: