looking at buying a pocket PC / PDA

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Sat Oct 28 14:52:56 CDT 2017

On 28 October 2017 at 12:03, tom sparks via cctalk
<cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
> I am looking at buying a pocket PC / PDA, so I can write idea/notes when I
> am away from my computer
>
> the [Psion 3](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psion_Series_3) and [Psion
> 5](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psion_Series_5) look like good options,
> but i read about the hinge/screen issues
>
> I am leaning more towards the Psion 5 because of the easy of getting
> accessories,
> but it has more things to break
>
> but I am wounding about other options?

"Wondering"? :-)

There were a few classics. IME the Psion 5/5mx keyboard was the best
by a country mile, but they're old and fragile now.

HP 200LX.

http://ktgee.net/post/100483254827/hp-200lx-review-an-ibm-pc-xt-in-your-pocket

HP Jornada 720 or 728, possibly the ultimate ARM PocketPC devices.

http://ktgee.net/post/99630645047/hp-jornada-720-review-hps-last-palmtop

NTT Docomo Sigmarion 3:

http://www.hpcfactor.com/reviews/hardware/ntt-do-co-mo/sigmarion-3/

Late-model NEC MobilePro, e.g. 900C:

https://www.revolvy.com/main/index.php?s=MobilePro&item_type=topic

The GDP Pocket is a sort of modern equivalent and is actually on sale now:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/gpd-pocket-7-0-umpc-laptop-ubuntu-or-win-10-os-laptop--2#/

The Gemini PDA looks more Psion-like -- the GDP is really just a very
small miniaturised laptop -- but it's not ready yet.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/gemini-pda-android-linux-keyboard-mobile-device-phone#/

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • Google Mail/Talk/Plus: lproven at gmail.com