Cleaning and Restoring a Badly Corroded PSU

Rob Jarratt robert.jarratt at ntlworld.com
Sat Oct 28 05:32:54 CDT 2017

>  This Nichicon PL 4700µF/10V part as well as all the Chemi-Con SXF parts
have
> certainly leaked in almost all the H7826 PSUs I have (which have been the
> worst in this respect), and consequently the PCB has become sticky in the
> output filter area.  Beware that in addition to the output filters there's
another
> SXF part just next to the input filter capacitor; it's visible on one of
your photos,
> next to the lightning bolt sticker.

Hello Maciej,

That 4700uF/10V capacitor is really hard to remove, it seem to be connected
to large planes on both sides, which suck all the heat away. I have a
suspicion that it may have leaked from the underside as the area around it
is certainly quite dirty in a way that suggest the dirt has stuck to
something.

Did you manage to remove this part without destroying it and without
damaging the board?

Regards

Rob