Details about IBM's early 'scientific' computers

Jon Elson elson at pico-systems.com
Thu Nov 16 10:43:02 CST 2017

On 11/15/2017 10:11 PM, Brian L. Stuart via cctalk wrote:
> On Wed, 11/15/17, Jon Elson via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>
>> PDP-5 and LINC certainly fit that requirement.
>
> Funny the LINC should come up tonight.  Earlier this evening
> I went to a talk given by Mary Allen Wilkes who was the
> developer of the system software for the LINC.  She had one
> in her parents' house around the 1965 timeframe.  Here's
> a pic of her with that machine.
>
> https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/2c/Mary_Allen_Wilkes_-_LINC_at_Home_-_1965.jpg
>
> Hard not to call the LINC "personal" in that context.

Oh, wow!  I had no idea she was still around!  We had a
memorial service for Wesley Clark about a year ago, he did
most of the design of the LINC.  The LINC was pretty
revolutionary for user interface on a small, 12-bit computer.
You got a 5" oscilloscope screen with about 12 short lines
of characters to edit, see the file directory, etc.  It
could also be used to display graphs.

Jon

Jon