Which Dec Emulation is the MOST useful and Versatile?

Dave Wade dave.g4ugm at gmail.com
Fri Nov 3 05:33:24 CDT 2017

Cisin
> via cctalk
> Sent: 03 November 2017 00:19
> To: General Discussion: On-Topic and Off-Topic Posts
> <cctalk at classiccmp.org>
> Subject: RE: Which Dec Emulation is the MOST useful and Versatile?
>
> On Sun, 29 Oct 2017, Dave Wade via cctalk wrote:
> > I am not sure they invented computer emulation. I think that the
> > concept Emulation/Simulation is as old as, or perhaps even older than
> computing.
>
> Henry Ford is attributed with "car racing began 5 minutes after the second
car
> was built."
> BUT, I'm not sure whether the second computer caared about emulating the
> first one.

Fred

It was the other way round. So you know the second computer will be better
than the first, but you haven't built it yet, so you emulate it on the
first. It's a common technique and was used by the ENIAC team to emulate an
EDVAC type machine, IBM also used it extensively when developing new
hardware, especially 370/XA...

Dave