What is this bus?

Mike Stein mhs.stein at gmail.com
Mon May 29 12:13:23 CDT 2017

----- Original Message -----
From: "jim stephens via cctalk" <cctalk at classiccmp.org>
To: <cctalk at classiccmp.org>
Sent: Monday, May 29, 2017 12:06 PM
Subject: Re: What is this bus?

> On 5/29/2017 8:38 AM, Al Kossow via cctalk wrote:
>>
>> On 5/28/17 8:28 PM, jim stephens via cctalk wrote:
>>
>>> The Pascal Microengine had a black and brushed aluminum package
>> There was a bus version. I have cards, but no backplane.
> I saw a lot of WD PME scrap here, even engineering stuff.  The staff
> shared a building with a friend, and some stuff I had came down the hall
> from there to scrap dealers.
>
> I don't recall seeing anything that fit with what the guy had in the
> photos here with the open frame supply.  Could be for the PME, but would
> maybe be a refugee prototype or such.
>
> The offices which had some of the development was in Sky Park Circle in
> Irvine, colocated with Technology Marketing, Inc.
>
> Some financial people who had dealings with Microdata's founding owned
> the building that had both TMI and the WD offices located there.
>
> Albert Wong (IIRC) of the A in AST worked at TMI with a friend till the
> ramp up of AST drew him in.
>
> Thanks
> Jim

FWIW, the power supply looks too professional/commercial to be part of a prototype; it looks like it's meant to slide into its chassis/cabinet, with a handhold to allow pulling it out and a spring-loaded latch to lock it into place.

But it's also quite possible that the PS and the backplane don't even belong together.