Fixing flakey floppies

Mark J. Blair nf6x at nf6x.net
Wed May 24 11:18:58 CDT 2017

I have also encountered many drives in which the grease inside the hub spindle and/or hub clamp bearings had dried out. When I am cleaning up a new-to-me old floppy drives, I check all of the ball bearings in the spindle and hub clamp to make sure that they spin freely. If they drag noticeably, then I take them out and work some very light oil into them. So far, I have been able to get all of them spinning freely without needing to replace any of them.

--
Mark J. Blair, NF6X <nf6x at nf6x.net>
http://www.nf6x.net/