Teletype 43

jim stephens jwsmail at jwsss.com
Wed May 24 01:51:48 CDT 2017

On 5/23/2017 11:37 PM, Dave Wade G4UGM via cctalk wrote:
>> Since
>> those are not easy to dig up now, what options are there?  Also,
>> because there's often plenty of pigment, what oil/solvents are good to
>> wrest some of that pigment back out of a dried ribbon?
> That is a question I'd like to determine.  Google was little help outside of calls
> to try WD40.
We WD40'ed ASR33 ribbons at the Computer Mini lab @UMR till the material
was white and we were printing with residual WD40 on the fabric.  On a
rebuild of the machine in question, we drained off 1/2 pint of oil from
the felt in the bottom, from both the ink operation, and just making it go.

Not sure why they didn't buy a new ribbon, but once it was rebuilt after
4 years of use, it printed fantastic quality print with a new ribbon.

I don't know the formulas for ink but it was persuaded to continue
printing with cloth / silk ribbons I've seen then and since.

thanks
Jim