Teletype 43

Jim Brain brain at jbrain.com
Mon May 22 12:44:18 CDT 2017

OK, go ahead and roll your eyes at me, but I was Dayton Hamvention last
weekend, and there was a lonely Teletype Model 43 sitting in the flea
market (on the ground, no less) for free, and so I decided I needed it
in my life.

I know it's not considered a "true" teletype, because it's essentially a
little uC, a KB, and a little dot matrix printer, but I will wear the
stigma of shame of not owning a "proper" mechanical model 33.  I got
home last night, and the unit fires up and works (well, in local mode.
Docs claim it is rs232 out the back, but could not coax anything from my
PC to it yet), though the ribbon has seen better days.  I used a bit of
WD-40 to free up the ink, and so things are legible now.

Not sure I need help yet (did not do much debugging yet on rs232), but I
see the ribbons are no longer available. Thus, I am wondering if anyone
has a spare one for it, or knows of someone who can restore this ribbon
(looks like it needs a new polyester ribbon and the internal foam roller
looks like it will fall apart if I try to rinse it out and re-ink it)

I know it's a long shot to ask, but I figure there was no harm in
inquiring, and I believe making a home for a model 43 is not entirely
without value. :-)

Jim

--
Jim Brain