110 Baud modem

Brent Hilpert bhilpert at shaw.ca
Tue May 9 13:49:53 CDT 2017

On 2017-May-09, at 7:39 AM, Paul Koning via cctalk wrote:
> So Wikipedia is wrong, since it claims that it was introduced in 1958 for ASCII and 110 Baud.
>
> Then again, 101/103 modem modulation doesn't care about speed (it isn't clocked) up to a limit of 300 baud or so.
>
> I wonder if there is also terminology here: what we now call a "modem" was earlier called a "tuning unit" and that term goes back to 5 bit machines and the 1950s.  It may be more a radio TTY term than a landline term, but the concept is identical.  I remember QST articles around 1958 or so about RTTY tuning units, built out of tubes with a relay (differential relay?) thrown in for good measure.
>
> 	paul

If my recollection and interpretation of the limited tech description available is correct, SIGSALY was doing frequency-domain-multi-channel, FSK-digital-transmission during WWII, that is, sending multiple digital bit streams over a radio channel. (Along with a host of other amazing technical achievements for the time, including or esp. in the digital realm).

I haven't looked into whether RTTY was prior to that, or post-war, or whether RTTY may have got some of the ideas from SIGSALY.