Re: Extracting files off “unknown” 8 inch disks. Any thoughts…

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Fri May 5 16:06:31 CDT 2017

On 05/05/2017 01:14 PM, Fred Cisin via cctalk wrote:

> Although, when I have an "unknown" disk, before I launch a sector
> editor, I type "DIR", just in case it ISN'T anything challenging.  I
> didn't try flux-transition until I failed with my sector editor.

The hardest that I've run into so far is verifying that a floppy has
*nothing* on it.  Flux transition sampling showed zero correlation of
timings (i.e. SD almost 0.0).   You could use magnetic developer and see
the tracks, but a photomicrograph showed no distinct reversal
boundaries.  Probably DC-erased was my best guess.

--Chuck