Extracting files off “unknown” 8 inch disks. Any thoughts…

Jon Elson elson at pico-systems.com
Fri May 5 12:24:38 CDT 2017

On 05/04/2017 06:01 PM, Rich Alderson via cctalk wrote:
> [...]
You definitely can built an RMS ODS-2 file system on the Vax
780 floppy drive.  I don't recall doing this very much, but
one time when I had to write a program that fixed a damaged
master file header, i tested it on a floppy file system
first.  Usually, VAXes had some much better removable media
devices.

If you can read the first block on track zero, it will
probably make it clear what the file system is.

Jon