Extracting data from DEC VAX tape recordings

William Pearse will.pearse at usu.edu
Sat Mar 18 18:28:22 CDT 2017

Hello,

I'm sorry to bother you, but I was hoping you might be able to help me with a problem I'm having getting hold of some scientific data that's currently stored on DEC VAX magnetic tape.

A colleague of mine carried out some ecological fieldwork ~30 years ago, and her results are stored on eight magnetic tapes (two of 7" diameter, one 8.5", and five 10.25"). The data would be incredibly useful to look at, as the study was looking at how restored mines changes over time (the study is somewhat described here; https://www.jstor.org/stable/20038221?seq=1#page_scan_tab_contents). If we could get these original data, we could compare how the mine is now with how it was then, which would be phenomenally useful to conservation biologists trying to conserve and restore damaged ecosystems.

Do any of you have any ideas as to how I might get the data off this tape? I live and work in Utah (USA), but I would be willing to travel a little ways if it meant getting the things read off into a computer!

Thanks again for your time,

Will Pearse

---

Need a phylogeny? Try phyloGenerator: original<http://willpearse.github.io/phyloGenerator/> or new version<http://willpearse.github.io/phyloGenerator2/>
Measuring phylogenetic structure? Try install.packages('pez')

Will Pearse<http://www.willpearse.com/>
Assistant Professor of Biology, Utah State University
Office: +1-435-797-0831
Skype: will.pearse