AIX documentation

Fred Cisin cisin at xenosoft.com
Mon Mar 13 17:24:18 CDT 2017

On Mon, 13 Mar 2017, Noel Chiappa via cctalk wrote:
> Perhaps.
> But she did ask "Am I legally allowed to resell these?" - which is rather a
> different question from 'If you were me, would you just go ahead and sell
> these?' (My answer to the latter question, BTW, is 'Yes.')

Thank you.
We don't agree on all the details, but it's a worthwhile discussion when
kept factually accurate.
For example, there is no lack of copyright in "abandonware", but it is
true that some things will not be pursued.

She should definitely sell them.  On THAT, we all agree.
Whether that is completely legal is unclear, but on a 26 year old manual,
the likelihood of repercussions is miniscule.

It turns out that they are NOT materials created by the people giving the
courses, but instead are [excerpted?] photocopies of manuals put out by
IBM.  Therefore, license issues are rather unlikely.

Operating in good faith, she can ASSUME that the course purveyors had
authorization for making those copies.

> Yes, I know that in so carefully parsing her statement, I'm acting like a
> lawyer. So sue me! ;-)

What she should do, and what is technically legal overlap, but are not
completely congruent.

Grumpy Ol' Fred     		cisin at xenosoft.com