AIX documentation

Fred Cisin cisin at xenosoft.com
Sun Mar 12 18:40:00 CDT 2017

On Sun, 12 Mar 2017, jim stephens via cctalk wrote:
> i wouldn't see why not.  You aren't NDA'd on anything, and if they are not
> government issue
> you own them.
> IANAL of course.

While not a COPYRIGHT issue, it is possible, and not unlikely, that they
were considered to be part of the course work, and that those taking the
course may have agreed, explicitly or implicitly, not to pass them on.

If there is not a statement about license on them, then it is a reasonably
safe risk.  The person who took the course, and agreed to any such license
could be liable.  If they want to take action, then they would have a weak
case based on not having made the license terms known and included in the
work.    (mens rea, etc.)

Similarly, although post Berne convention upholds copyright on works
without a copyright notice, failing to have a copyright notice is a really
BAD idea.

That doesn't mean that a litigious pubisher won't be a nuisance.

If it is a significant amount (many copies, high price each, etc.) then
make a good faith effort to contact the originator of the materials, and
consult a real IP lawyer.

Also, be aware that legal advice here is often tainted by our own
interests, hence the fiction of "abandonware".

IANAL,
Grumpy Ol' Fred     		cisin at xenosoft.com