Compaq Portable 286 and Portable III - IDE drives?

Jules Richardson jules.richardson99 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 3 14:52:04 CST 2017

Just checking here, as someone told me that this is the case, but do the
Compaq Portable 286 and Portable III take stock 40-pin IDE hard drives? I
just wanted to make sure that they weren't expecting something that might
be a bit non-standard before I go trying to find modern replacements for a
pair of failing disks.

Assuming that an enormous modern(ish) drive is OK, are there any other
gotchas involved in configuration and formatting? Obviously I don't need a
partition bigger than a few tens of MB, but perhaps there are things to
keep in mind when fitting a drive that's most likely to be getting on for a
thousand times the capacity of the original.

cheers

Jules