Full immersion emulation

allison ajp166 at verizon.net
Thu Mar 2 06:26:25 CST 2017

On 3/1/17 3:07 PM, Warner Losh via cctalk wrote:
>>> On Wed, Mar 1, 2017 at 7:39 PM, Chuck Guzis via cctalk
>> On Wed, 1 Mar 2017, Tony Duell via cctalk wrote:
>>> But presumably on an emulator there will be some kind of volume control.
>>> Or even unplug the speaker(s) if you want silence...
>>
>> But, the REAL experience did not include volume control or speaker
>> disconnect!   THAT was part of the real experience.
>>
>> The Computer History Museum had a running 1401 room.  But, they did more
>> conscientious maintenance that we were accustomed to in the old days, so it
>> just didn't SMELL the same.    A dish of oil on a hotplate might be close
>> enough, until SMELL-O-VISION catches on.

No idea what the big deal is about....  ;)

I just fire up the PDP-11/73 (RL02, RX02, RD52x3,), then
Microvax-II/GPX, Then the PDP-8f....

WHAT? OH YES IT'S LOUD!

The 11.73 has fans in the RX02, BA11 box, Rack back door near top and
then the RL02 spinning.
The PDP8f has two very high volume fans.
The only thing I have that's close to that is the homebrew S100 case
with two 120cfm fans
that blow across the boards and a pair of 8" shugart drives (with fans
as well).

Warms the room well and makes the power meter spin pretty good too.

Allison