Full immersion emulation

jim stephens jwsmail at jwsss.com
Thu Mar 2 00:26:16 CST 2017

On 3/1/2017 10:04 PM, Jon Elson via cctalk wrote:
> Well, I remember the /50 at Rolla, they ran very little locally while
> I was there, mostly used it as an RJE terminal.
> Cards and 1402 printer.  So, the 1050 was not real busy.
It ran MVT21 thru 1975.  The MVT version of the workstation was one of
the first ever run on an actual 360 in some time.  Most people were
using 360/20's with the RJE code supplied with Hasp.  The 360/20 code
was all macros and quite fun to read, whereas the one for such as the 50
was not.

I know they had to fix some bugs and customize it so that they could
enter jobs to both the data center in Columbia and still run local
jobs.  Just some magic on the job card.  Normal users never saw it, but
the printer code was modified to spool jobs locally for printing.

the only thing that was done of a major modification is that they
decommissioned the CPS system, which was the interactive PL1 system.
The 2741s and controller were dedicated to a setup to allow access to
TSO remotely which was in Columbia, Mo.  CPS could not share terminals
with any OS functions.  When CPS and OS/MVT were running MVT had no clue
that CPS terminal hardware was attached. You could however spool print jobs.

CPS was implemented as a firmware extension, and ran in a 1mb attached
LCS when it was up.

With 30 2741s which I didn't mention earlier we certainly had the right
CE.  You couldn't interchange the type balls, but everything else worked
the same.

thanks
jim