Data General MTB Reference Sought

Bruce Ray Bruce at Wild-Hare.com
Wed Jan 25 12:22:35 CST 2017

G'day Steve -

AOS/VS OS tape drive base names are MTA, MTB, MTC, etc. and do not
directly correspond to the assembler mnemonic name(s) - don't be
confused by this difference.

The AOS/VS 'MTA'-type tape drive is described on page IV-5.  These
correspond to the original DG model 4030/6020 units.

The AOS/VS 'MTB'-type tape drive is described on page IV-15. These
correspond to the DG model 6026 units.

The AOS/VS 'MTC'-type tape drive is internally the same as the MTB
except only a single unit is supported.  This was done to distinguish
single-unit support for the popular DG model 6125 streamer.

The IV-15 mag tape programming model was consistent between the
Nova/Eclipse/MV bus controllers and the Lbus controllers through
emulation.  One size [almost] fit all.

What difference(s) are you seeing?

Bruce