What's the rarest or most unusual computer-related item do you own? [Tek 4132]

Jon Elson elson at pico-systems.com
Thu Jan 19 11:13:14 CST 2017

On 01/19/2017 09:30 AM, geneb wrote:

> If there's only one mirror, he's missing most of it then.
> A Wide Angle Collimator (what they call the "single
> channel" displays) has a partially-reflective first
> surface mirror at a 45 degree angle (the beam splitter)
> and a special curved mirror directly in front of it.
Front, as in toward the front of the aircraft.  Yes, I'd
forgotten about the beam splitter.  But, I'm sure he DOES
have that, too.
> The display is positioned above the beam splitter.
In his case, for mechanical reasons, he put the display
below the beam splitter/curved mirror.
>   The light path goes down from the crt, is reflected off
> the beam splitter into the mirror and then straight at the
> viewpoint for the user (passing through the beam splitter
> again). That process robs 50-75% of the light that goes
> into it from the CRT.  That's why WACs are really only
> good for night time visuals.

Well, once you are in the closed, dark environment, you
could do daytime visuals but at reduced light levels, should
be FINE for a home sim.

> Take a look at the "Go Collimated or Go Home" link in my
> sig.  I designed a 737-sized one of those for a friend.
> He built it and uses it with FlightGear.

Ahh, yes, YOU are the guy with the F-15 front end!  Yes, we
know OF you!
And, yes, FlightGear is completely amazing.

Jon