Microscope for Soldering and Inspection Work

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Sat Jan 14 12:07:41 CST 2017

> On Jan 14, 2017, at 3:48 AM, Rob Jarratt <robert.jarratt at ntlworld.com> wrote:
>
> Has anyone had experience of using an item like this for soldering and PCB
> inspection work?
>

> https://www.amazon.co.uk/AmScope-Widefield-Binocular-Inspection-Microscope/d
> p/B005C75IVM/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8
> At the moment I have one of these:
> http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/22w-fluorescent-magnifying-craft-lamp-a29ff which
> I find OK, but sometimes it gets in the way of the soldering iron and it
> isn't that easy to move it to a position and have it actually stay there.

I've done two SMD assembly projects, both with 0603 size capacitors, and with sub-mm lead pitch IC packages.  Both have been done with magnifiers and bright lights.  Also liquid flux to go along with fine solder and a fine-tipped soldering iron (Weller WTCPS with PTS tip).

Before the second project, I inherited a microscope like the one you showed, which I used for inspection.  And for a few bits of rework.  I found it hard to get the hand-eye coordination correct working through the microscope, so I didn't use it for assembly.  If I had to (even finer work) I'd have to learn that skill; obviously it can be done but it didn't come naturally and so far it wasn't needed.

	paul