Were C64's used in editing video like the Amigas - also need Amiga keyboard?

Cameron Kaiser spectre at floodgap.com
Wed Jan 11 16:00:19 CST 2017

> > Were C64's used in editing video like the Amigas - also need Amiga
> > keyboard?
>
> I am pretty sure people recorded graphical output from early Micros as
> some sorta of poor mans character generator/title generator. Probalbly
> couldn't overlay without a very expensive genlock though. Not sure if
> there were deck control solutions for doing assemble editing based on time
> and serial deck control for C64?

I never saw deck controllers, though it wouldn't have been difficult to
homebrew one. When we used a C64 to do some titling for a school project,
we just directly recorded the output to the VCR. I do believe there were
some genlock products around but I never used one.

> The Newtek toaster and other add-on are in a whole different
> league versus what the C64 could do.
>
> There were crude capture devices also. Maybe ComputerEyes existed for C64?

It did; I have one on the shelf. However, I get much better quality taking
a frame on the Mac and dithering it, tbh, so I hardly use it anymore. CE was
a very slow means of capturing frames and a VCR with wobbly tracking on
pause didn't help the quality any.

-- We're Starfleet officers ... weird is just part of the job. -- ST: Voyager -