Cleaning RK05 packs (Was: LGP-30 Memory Drum Update)

allison ajp166 at verizon.net
Thu Jan 5 19:13:39 CST 2017

On 01/05/2017 07:15 PM, Chuck Guzis wrote:
> On 01/05/2017 03:24 PM, David Bridgham wrote:
>
>> This question of whether Simple Green was aluminum safe came up in
>> the aircraft world a few years back and the answer turned out to be
>> that some ingredient in there is mildly corrosive to aluminum.  Not
>> badly so and if you managed to flush it off with water then no
>> problem but if a bit of cleaner were to weep into a crack and not get
>> get cleaned off then over time it might be a problem.  Not too long
>> after that Simple Green came out with a new formulation, Simple Green
>> Extreme or something like that, that *was* aluminum safe.  So look
>> for the Simple Green that's sold for cleaning airplanes if you're
>> cleaning around aluminum.
Lots of ifs, mights, and maybes.   My knowledge is from actually owning
and maintaining a Cessna since 1979 and so far that has not been an issue.
FYI often cleaning the bird is good no matter what you use as salt spray
and
other things it can be exposed to are far worse.  Like acid rain and soot
from fires.

> Freon TF works well on everything.  Too bad it's not available.
>
> Is it still used for aircraft electronics?

No its been obsoleted.  There are many other similar but not fluorinated
hydrocarbons that are preferred and also good old soap and water.

Allison