Cleaning RK05 packs (Was: LGP-30 Memory Drum Update)

Jon Elson elson at pico-systems.com
Thu Jan 5 11:05:53 CST 2017

On 01/05/2017 07:22 AM, Noel Chiappa wrote:
>      > From: Klemens Krause
>
>      > We clean our RK05 disks in a very robust way: with cheap burning spirit
>      > and paper towels. ... We rubbed away thick black traces from occasional
>      > head crashes and we never removed the oxide coating with this torture.
>
> I am about to get a large batch of RK05 packs, so I am interested in the
> details of this.
>
> First, what is 'burning spirit'? (I assume this is a straight translation
> into English of some German term, but not knowing German... :-) After poking
> around with Google for a while (hampered no little by the fact that it's the
> name of a band, and also a term in World of Warcraft :-), it seems like it
> might be acetone?

I'd be very careful with acetone, it tends to dissolve a lot
of things, like maybe the binder in the coating.
Rubbing alcohol (isopropyl) and pure ethanol are the things
I've seen used to clean magnetic media.
if there is a spot that is not actually used (maybe other
parts of the gouged tracks) you could test various solvents
with a Q-tip to make sure they don't cause damage.

Jon