Cleaning RK05 packs (Was: LGP-30 Memory Drum Update)

Mouse mouse at Rodents-Montreal.ORG
Thu Jan 5 09:56:51 CST 2017

>> In the US, "rubbing alcohol" is mostly denatured ethanol (though "isopropyl$

Interesting.  I don't think I've ever seen a bottle of "rubbing
alcohol" that was anything but isopropanol-and-water.  But I'm more
Canadian than US.

> I would suggest avoiding these blends of random chemicals made with no real $

Or, more precisely, with _different_ concern for purity.  For rubbing
alcohol you want to avoid biologically active contaminants, but
dissolved solids per se don't matter.  Here, you care about dissolved
solids but don't much care about things that might be biologically
active, as long as they evaporate without residue.

Which leads me to tentatively suggest gasoline (West Pondian) / petrol
(East Pondian), since it seems to me that will go to some lengths to
avoid fouling engines with residues.  And it's available pretty much
universally, and relatively cheaply.

Or am I wrong about it not leaving even trace residues?

Of course, anyone with distillation equipment could distil any of these
to get something with less residue.  But not everyone has chem-lab
glassware.

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML		mouse at rodents-montreal.org