LGP-30 Memory Drum Update

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Thu Jan 5 09:15:40 CST 2017

On Thu, Jan 5, 2017 at 3:44 AM, Klemens Krause <
krause at informatik.uni-stuttgart.de> wrote:

> Cleaning the originally coated drum? I'm not sure how to do this.
> We clean our RK05 disks in a very robust way: with cheap burning
> spirit and paper towels. ...
> The LGP-30 drum is much more singular, so we never tried to clean
> the surface to avoid the risk of cleaning away the coating.

I've seen an IBM field service tech clean an 1311 pack once (after the drive blew a gasket and sprayed hydraulic fluid everywhere).  He used Kimwipes soaked in isopropyl alcohol.  Since this was in college, I went to the chemistry department to get high purity (reagent grade) isopropyl alcohol for this job.

A solvent sounds good, but I would avoid "burning spirit" or rubbing alcohol or other grocery store stuff since it probably has all manner of contaminants in it, some of which may leave crud on the surface.

	paul