Cassette Interface Assistance

Paul Berger phb.hfx at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 12:06:11 CST 2017

Now that I read your whole email I would like to ask what you plan to do
with this boosted signal?   I have never had a CoCo, but most cassette
interfaces on these old computers pretty much all worked like a modem
but you where recording the signal instead of sending it down a phone line.

 From what I read the CoCo uses   1200Hz for zero and 2400 Hz for one,
what I was reading also went on to claim that it is a single cycle of
the tone to represent a bit.  If you intend to feed this into a computer
converting the signal to a square wave would be ok as long as the
software monitoring the port had a high enough sampling rate to be able
to differentiate the width of the pulses, which should not be hard as
one is twice as long as the other.  A comparator would be the best way
to produce a square wave representation, as they normally have a sharp
threshold which you would want to adjust so that it switches over at
about the 50% level of the input signal.  If you have a dual channel
scope you can compare the input signal to the output to see if that is
what is happening.  That might be hard to see on an analog scope, this
is where a storage scope or a digital scope comes in handy because you
can  freeze the signal.

Paul.