Y Combinator is restoring one of Alan Kay's Xerox Alto machines

Josh Dersch derschjo at gmail.com
Tue Feb 21 11:05:29 CST 2017

On 2/21/17 8:46 AM, Liam Proven wrote:

> On 20 February 2017 at 08:09, Curious Marc <curiousmarc3 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Alto Restoration Videos Parts 13 and 14 are uploaded
>>
>> https://youtu.be/5f43fmZcj9Y
>>
>> https://youtu.be/LxFv2JNNW-A
>>

> Excellent stuff -- thank you for this!
>
> Filing cabinets full of disks, eh? Wow.
>
> How many working Altos are there left in the world?
Maybe half a dozen that I know of.

> Does anyone have a
> network of them running, with a server?

The LCM+L has two running Altos, plus two emulated Altos, talking to a
re-implementation of the Xerox IFS services.  We have a 3mbit Ethernet
bridge so that the real Altos can talk to the emulated Altos and the IFS
server.

(Source code on our GitHub at https://github.com/livingcomputermuseum)

- Josh