The Biggin Hill Omnibus

Paul Berger phb.hfx at gmail.com
Tue Feb 7 13:52:42 CST 2017

On 2017-02-07 2:46 PM, Tony Duell wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 7, 2017 at 6:32 PM, Paul Koning <paulkoning at comcast.net> wrote:
>>> On Feb 7, 2017, at 4:54 AM, Tony Duell <ard.p850ug1 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> No, not Transport For London routes 246, 320, 464, R2 or R8 :-)
>>>
>>> Some of you might like the photos here ...
>>>
>>> https://www.flickr.com/photos/tony_duell/albums/72157677925921112
>> Wow.  Disassembling and rebuilding motors... not so crazy if it's a fan motor but then
>> a bit later I see you took DECtape reel servos apart.  And I haven't seen someone
>> take apart and rebuild a contactor before.
> I'll dismantle (and often reassemble ;-)) just about anything.
>
> As for motors, I had to strip the punch motor in the PC04 today. I
> fitted the step-down
> transformer so I could run said unit, then found the motor was solid.
> The bearing oil
> had turned to something rembling tar. I will try to get photos of that
> uploaded soon.

I have seen that happen to running motors that have sintered bronze
bearings.  On some old systems I serviced that had 8" diskette drives
turned by an AC motor that ran all the time the system was powered on,
customers rarely used the diskette drive, but we had to in order to run
diagnostics on the system.  We would often find the motor seized  solid
and   hot enough to fry eggs on.   We would of course replace the motor,
but while I waited for the replacement, I would take out the motor pump
a little oil into the bearing, and turn the motor with vice grips.  The
oil would dissolve that black gunk and you could get the motor going
again and get on with the job while waiting for parts.  I usually found
that once that gunk was cleaned out the bearing had some play in them.

Paul.