The Biggin Hill Omnibus

Tony Duell ard.p850ug1 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 7 12:46:43 CST 2017

On Tue, Feb 7, 2017 at 6:32 PM, Paul Koning <paulkoning at comcast.net> wrote:

>> On Feb 7, 2017, at 4:54 AM, Tony Duell <ard.p850ug1 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> No, not Transport For London routes 246, 320, 464, R2 or R8 :-)
>>
>> Some of you might like the photos here ...
>>
>> https://www.flickr.com/photos/tony_duell/albums/72157677925921112
>
> Wow.  Disassembling and rebuilding motors... not so crazy if it's a fan motor but then
> a bit later I see you took DECtape reel servos apart.  And I haven't seen someone
> take apart and rebuild a contactor before.

I'll dismantle (and often reassemble ;-)) just about anything.

As for motors, I had to strip the punch motor in the PC04 today. I
fitted the step-down
transformer so I could run said unit, then found the motor was solid.
The bearing oil
had turned to something rembling tar. I will try to get photos of that
uploaded soon.

The only motors I am a bit careful with dismantling are permanent
magnet DC ones.
The field can demagnetise if you don't fit a 'keeper'. But I will do
those when I have to.
See the photos in my VAX11/730 album on the same site for the insides
of the TS05
motor.

As for the cabinet fan, the old bearings were rusted solid, but the
windings were
perfect, and a pair of ball races are a lot cheaper than the entire
fan. Strangly
said bearings were metric dimensions (which made them easier to get for me).

-tony