Logic Analysers

Noel Chiappa jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Sat Feb 4 07:47:45 CST 2017

    > From: Jon Elson

    > Any time you see really narrow glitches, especially when they are one
    > LA sample wide, you have no idea what they actually look like. The LA
    > detects that the pulse was there at the instant it sampled it, but you
    > don't know whether it was 5 ns wide, or 70 ns wide ... You also don't
    > know whether they were full-amplitude pulses or runts that just barely
    > crossed the logic threshold of the analyzer.

Which is why I always prefer to work with an LA _and_ a 'scope: the 'scope
lets me see what the signals look like, how much noise/etc there is, etc,
etc, while the LA can do other things - better triggering, capture longer
time periods, etc.

(Now they have those fancy new digitial 'scope with capture capability, and
you can get the best of both worlds with one box, but I guess they are still
kind of pricy.)

But you can probably pick up an old 'scope for not much money on eBait. I
can't imagine working on anything without one.

	Noel