RL02 version of UNIX6?

Noel Chiappa jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Wed Feb 1 20:30:43 CST 2017

    > From: Paul Koning

    > Yes, GCC should do that correctly. ... Dealing with the output might be
    > a nuisance ... You may need some post-processing to cast the output
    > into the syntax that V6 "as" expects.

Actually, dealing with the _input_ is going to be a PITA (so my suggestion
was, in retrospect, not really a plausible one). The problem is that V6 is
written in an early dialect of C, one which I am sure would cause GCC would
toss its cookies, if fed to it.

Some things, like "a =+ b;" would be easy to fix; likewise "int a 1;" instead
of "int a = 1;". But the Unix kernel is shot through with places where are
int is used as a structure pointer, etc, without benefit of a cast (casts
weren't invented until later). And a lot of stuff like that.

	Noel