Attaching SIMH devices without halting simulation?

Mark J. Blair nf6x at nf6x.net
Sun Dec 31 14:58:50 CST 2017

I've been experimenting with the SIMH VAX simulators a lot lately. The only way I know of to mount a tape, disk pack, CD-ROM, etc. after boot time is to halt the simulation with ^e to get to the SIMH command prompt, ATTACH the desired image, and then resume the simulation with CONTINUE.

Is there any way to attach/detach media images in SIMH without halting the simulation? I've tried putting the system console on a telnet port so it doesn't occupy SIMH's controlling terminal, and I found that it's still necessary to halt the simulation to get back to the SIMH command prompt.

--
Mark J. Blair, NF6X <nf6x at nf6x.net>
http://www.nf6x.net/