Computing from 1976

Jon Elson elson at pico-systems.com
Sat Dec 30 21:08:29 CST 2017

On 12/30/2017 07:43 PM, Fred Cisin via cctalk wrote:
> On Sat, 30 Dec 2017, ben via cctalk wrote:
>> I find I want use computers less , 5+ minutes to boot
>> something that then needs to check the net. I use a all
>> valve audio system and tubes are warmed up and ready to
>> go before my music app exits the splash screen.
>
> The "modern" computer is much faster, but it takes forever
> and a half before it is ready to use that speed.

5 MINUTES?  My old laptop, with very modest CPU, is logged
on, from a cold start, in 15 seconds (including me typing
the password). That is with Ubuntu Linux.  I don't know how
long it takes my desktop to boot up, I think a bit longer,
but I just leave it on all the time.  I do have solid state
drives in both those machines.

Jon