RL02 weirdness

allison allisonportable at gmail.com
Sun Dec 17 11:28:45 CST 2017

On 12/17/2017 12:04 PM, Aaron Jackson via cctalk wrote:
> Now that I have my RX02 drive working I have started to take a look at
> the RL02 drives again. I hooked a scope up to the sector transducer and
> sector timing test points, and they look nicely aligned. So I moved on.
>
> Then I hooked up the scope to the TP1, TP2 and the sector timing TP and
> compared it to the output in the RL02 tech manual. S1 was fine but S2
> was offset in the wrong direction (probably need to see page 3-8 in the
> manual to understand). I had a look at where the heads are connected to
> at up was connected to down and down was connected to up.
>
> Without understanding the consequences I switched these and loaded a
> pack. Unfortunately I heard a horrible sound and I now have a thin black
> ring on the bottom side of my platter, which I am very upset about. :( I
> unloaded very quickly but I think the damage is done.
One turn thats all it takes.

> Why would the heads be installed this way?
Error, accident.

> and why did it destroy my
> platter when they are connected "correctly"?
Maybe the control finally got a signal and decided to load them.

> Does anyone understand what might have happened?
Simple the heads are designed to fly and have a shape suited for that.
Flip them over and they are wrong shape, they don't fly, they dig in....
oops!

Make sure the correct heads are in there correctly.

Allison