OT: Argh--my old faithful HP16C is failing!

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Wed Dec 6 14:53:35 CST 2017

On 12/06/2017 10:10 AM, Tony Duell wrote:

> 'Later' here might mean the modern versions of the 12C, which is very
> different. I thought both types of construction of the original Voyagers
> used the same display but I must admit I have never swapped them over.

Feh, the "old" HP12C that I got for $15 is only 30 years old.  My HP16C
is 35 years old.   The innards between the two are completely different.

My HP16C comes wrapped in antistatic plastic and has what looks to be a
hand-wired axial resistor and a "blob" tantalum cap hand-soldered in
near the battery holder.   The display is on a separate board connected
via a flex cable labeled "HP Sheldahl USA 1130-0504.

The 12C is all on a single PCB, with no ESD wrap.  Miles apart.
So it boils down to finding a REALLY old 12C and hoping that it's
compatible with my 16C in terms of parts or putting everything back
together and buying the Swiss clone, which will, after all is said and
done, set me back $200.

I don't fancy that there's much hope in finding a 35 year old 12C for
sale at a reasonable price--and the display will still be very old.

Sigh,
Chuck