PDP8 ALGOL

Michael Thompson michael.99.thompson at gmail.com
Tue Dec 5 18:59:24 CST 2017

> From: Charles Dickman <chd at chdickman.com>
> Subject: PDP8 ALGOL
>
> I have been looking at the available software for the PDP8,
> particularly languages. I see there was an ALGOL. The source is
> archived on Bitsavers and dbit.
>
> There is some information here:
> http://www.softwarepreservation.org/projects/ALGOL/algol60impl/
>
> Has anyone played with this before? Is there any additional
> information on how to use it?
>
> -chuck

I have looked at the 4k ALGOL described here:
http://www.bitsavers.org/pdf/dec/decus/pdp8/8-213_4K_ALGOL.pdf

The paper tape images are here:
http://www.bitsavers.org/bits/DEC/pdp8/papertapeImages/set3/

The RICM also has an original set of the DECUS 8-213 ALGOL paper tapes, but
they are different from the ones on Bitsavers. I need to make images of
these tapes.

Students at the UMN are trying to get ALGOL to run on their PDP-12 so they
can run some benchmarking software.

We haven't been able to get DECUS 8-213 ALGOL working. Any help would be
appreciated.

--
Michael Thompson