Can anyone identify what this board is/does?

Tom Gardner t.gardner at computer.org
Sat Dec 2 16:03:08 CST 2017

My understanding is that DZU made disk storage subsystems including both drives and control units and that many if not all into the 1980s were copies of IBM disk storage products.

The recollection is that IBM 2314 era SCU used a form of TROS where words were strips of film that punched a hole a one or a zero at each transformer (core) location to route the current around or through a core.  The 2841 may have had the same technology.  This could be done relatively easily in the field.

At Memorex they used wire rope as TROS for the same function as I think did other PCMs.  This was smaller and allowed faster clocks than film strips but was difficult but not impossible to field upgrade.  Next generation SCUs went to writable control store's loadable from FDD's.

So this might be a 2314 era TROS so its date could be early 70s given first PCM 2314's SCUs didn't ship until the early 1970s so I have a hard time thinking the Russian system beat US capitalism :-)
But if they copied the 2841 and it used TROS then it could be late 60s

Tom