Attaching DEC Handles, the Right Way

jim stephens jwsmail at jwsss.com
Wed Apr 26 12:02:19 CDT 2017

On 4/26/2017 9:47 AM, Al Kossow via cctalk wrote:

> On 4/26/17 8:06 AM, jim stephens via cctalk wrote:
>
>> Stu Phillips, a friend of ours did the insertion of metal metal Southco extractor handles on our boards for the
>> Microdata 1600.  He probably had a machine, as the Southco levers were riveted onto our board thru holes in the corner
>> and levered the board in and out of the card cage.
This shows the Southco extractor.  The Nova DG cards I have have them as
well.

http://bitsavers.trailing-edge.com/pdf/microdata/1600/PCB_Photos/A20001043_Data_Bot.jpg

Data General Nova 3 cpu card showing the same extractor.
https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-zSDB_FtBUZc/WC6t5e2XkYI/AAAAAAAEF8Q/f4aH_E65ypsn8BqmpXFv75xeTXuGFaRhQCLcB/s1600/2016-11-17%2B22.29.12.jpg

If the above link is fubar, the posting is here in this blog post:
http://jimsoldtoys.blogspot.com/2016/11/data-general-nova-3.html

The fastners were rivited thru the board, and with particularly stiff
backplanes, the corner of the boards could also
break off as well as the bowing of the boards Al refers to.  The boards
bend up or down in the center of the card
as you pull very hard on each edge.  Eventually either your fingers
bleed, or the card pops out of the connector
at the far end.