PDP-8/a cleaning

Systems Glitch systems.glitch at gmail.com
Tue Apr 25 12:39:52 CDT 2017

> I'd just vacuum the card slots and wiring side with a shop
> vac with a crevice tool.  I really would not get it wet.  If
> you do this, vacuum all the water off and then dry in an
> oven at 100F or so for a day.  You can clean the card edge
> fingers with an alcohol-soaked paper towel.

Yeah, if you can avoid washing it, so much the better. Don't be too afraid of getting it wet, though -- I've washed many Unibus and QBus backplanes. I use dish soap and hot tap water. I used to dry them in the kitchen oven, but now I've got a hot air drying rack, which I believe was originally sold for drying litho plates. If you have to use the oven, leave the door ajar and set it at the lowest setting.

Thanks,
Jonathan