Cleaning RK05 packs (Was: LGP-30 Memory Drum Update)

Pete Lancashire pete at petelancashire.com
Mon Apr 3 13:25:06 CDT 2017

>>Ah, oh.... How should that get between the heads and the platter?

If it can happen it will. It did. I had saved up three or four cartridges
for future repair. I was told such work should be done by
(someone not so expensive) so off they went to one of the manufacturing
repair techs. I was busy a few weeks later and did
not do my usual look inside. Spun up the RK05 and data errors all over the
place. Pulled the cart, did a head inspection and
there was a not the usual black/dark brown streak on the head. Go get the
box of Texwipes, etc and pull out the RK, but the
head just did not feel smooth, if you have done such a cleaning a dozen
times you get to know the feeling when you know
things are flat again.  So time to take the cartridge apart. Its screws
needed very little torque, as in a couple pretty much
fell out. Yep the inside was full of plastic shards. Later found out the
tech used an air screwdriver to put the screws back.

Anyway, I put a DO NOT USE sticker on the door and called DEC, yep .. the
head had to be replaced. For years I kept
it on my desk as a reminder that maybe the department who keep the
compressors, pumps, wirewrap machines etc
running was not a way to save money.

Exact details somewhat fuzzy since this was like 1976

-pete