Is anyone making replacement clear labels for DEC gear?

Jon Elson elson at pico-systems.com
Thu Sep 29 11:50:35 CDT 2016

On 09/29/2016 11:12 AM, Rod Smallwood wrote:

>      I seem to remember that at least some of the markings
> were not actually labels but  screened onto the  chassis.
>
> White for black metalwork and black on unpainted cad and
> pass metalwork.
>
> There is a process used for  decals. You peel the back off
> and press on to whatever. Then peel the front of and there
> you are.

I use some expensive stuff from Vital Presentation
Concepts.  It has 2 parts.  There is a photosensitive label
material that has a sheet of dye and a sheet of
photoactivated superglue.  What you expose to UV gets sticky
and pulls the dye off the other sheet.  Then, you turn this
sheet over and stick it down to a double-sticky base layer.
The image is between the two plastic layers, so it is quite
durable.  They have many dye colors, and they do have a
clear base sheet, too.  So, it looks like they have the
combination of colors to do white lettering on a clear
base.  This stuff is NOT cheap, it will cost about $200 to
get the basic stuff (5 sheets of imaging film, 5 base sheets
and the peeling pad).  You will also need a way to make
master images (laser printer transparencies should work) and
a UF exposing frame.

See
https://www.vpcinc.com/Category/Quick-Mark-UV-Photographic-49.cfm

for more details.

I use this stuff for instrument panel labels.  I use blue
imaging film on a white base.  Then, I use an Xacto knife to
cut out for around all the switches, etc.  I make the photo
masters on a laser photoplotter, which assures the lettering
all comes out right where it is supposed to.  (A laser
printer will not be as accurate, but would be fine for a
simple label.)

Here's an example of one of my units that shows the label well :
http://pico-systems.com/switcher.html

I'm not suggesting this is what anybody should do, I'm just
pointing out that this material does exist, and can be used
to make some good-looking labels.

(I am also NOT volunteering to make DEC labels for anybody!)

Jon