Tektronix 4051 repair.

Mattis Lind mattislind at gmail.com
Thu Sep 22 03:17:22 CDT 2016

<javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','pete at petelancashire.com');>>:

> They look pretty bright to me for a DVST screen. Your problem looks
> 'analog', check the character blanking is working, then check the digital
> to analog, deflection etc.

I cannot find anything mentioned about character blanking in the circuit
description.

I read this on the topic "Alphanumeric Display":

"Refer to the display control block diagram (Fig 6-13). The display
coordinate position is generated through the digital-to-analog converters
(X DAC and Y DAC) and fed through the filter circuitry with the filtering
disabled. A short time later, either SOT is activated to print a cursor
refresh dot or ADOT is activated to print a character dot. The timers for
cursor intensity and character intensity are adjustable by potentiometers
accessible through the bottom of the assembled instrument."

Maybe this is the "A short time later" that it is not working since seems
to draw instantly. But as far as In understand that timer is generated in
the digital parts.

Note that this is not a computer or terminal. It is an instrument per
Tektronix definition...

Unfortunately the detailedness of the circuit description is not up to the
DEC standards in my opinion. There are no scope diagrams describing the
pulses going to the Z-axis as far as I can see which is unfortunate.

/Mattis