Meaning of "architecture width" - Re: 68K Macs with MacOS 7.5 still in production use...

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Fri Sep 16 18:59:45 CDT 2016

> On Sep 16, 2016, at 5:47 PM, Antonio Carlini <a.carlini at ntlworld.com> wrote:

> I've never encountered anyone claiming that a 10Mb/s network means anything other than ten million bits per second.

I once worked for a company that said Ethernet switch ports were 20 Mb/s because they are 10 Mb/s each way.

But with that oddball exception, your statement is accurate for networks.  In other domains, not so much.  Fibre Channel is marketed as x Gb/s (x = 1, 2, 4, 8, 16...) but in fact x is GBaud (rounded slightly; the original rate is 1.0625 GBaud).  So the real speed is 800, 1600, ... Mb/s.

By Fibre Channel standards, the original Ethernet would have been called 20 Mb/s (since it's 20 MBaud, being Manchester encoded), and Fast Ethernet would be 125 Mb/s (since it's 125 MBaud, with 4b/5b coding) and so on.  But networking people aren't so confused (or whatever).

	paul