G4 cube (was Re: 68K Macs with MacOS 7.5 still in production use...)

Cameron Kaiser spectre at floodgap.com
Thu Sep 15 08:50:09 CDT 2016

> So unless there was only a single *nix machine on campus there would
> be NFS.

When I was a University of California student, the news spool and
(depending on the system) the mail spool were both NFS mounts on the
system I used -- sdcc12 and sdcc13/17, respectively, for any other
UCSD students who want to reminisce.

Some of the freenets used, and still use, NFS for a similar purpose,
and the university I later worked for had a couple Sun systems that
did this for specific departments although it was primarily a NetWare
shop initially.

That said, on my own systems, the only NFS server is set up so it can
be a swap device for the Dreamcast. ;)

-- One can live in Paris ... on just grief and anguish. -- Henry Miller -------