Gould 32/77 (was: NWA auctions)

Bob Rosenbloom bobalan at sbcglobal.net
Thu Oct 13 22:34:30 CDT 2016

On 10/13/2016 9:01 AM, Rick Bensene wrote:
>> I'm curious what the Systems 32/77 is..
>> Wasn't Gould SEL?  maybe an SEL system?
>
> The 32/77-series was a 32-bit machine implemented in ECL, based on
> earlier SEL designs, but is definitely Gould in design/manufacture.
>
> Some of the machines in the series had a very powerful (for the time)
> floating point unit (known as the IPU) that operated in tandem with the
> main CPU that vastly increased the number-crunching power available
>
> The machines were mainly intended for real-time control applications (as
> used in the flight sim applications in the auction)
>
> The machine ran a real-time executive called MPX-32.
>
> More information: http://www.encore-support.com/htmls/32_77.htm
>
> Years ago, I had some experience with these machines.  They were quite
> powerful for their time, and were also workhorses that just ran and ran.
> Very robust design.
>
> These are neat machines, and I hope that they end up in the hands of
> someone that can care for them rather than ending up scrap.
>
> --
> Rick Bensene
> The Old Calculator Museum
> http://oldcalculatormuseum.com

Well... with a momentary lapse of reason, I bought the Gould / SEL
system. It won't go to scrap.
No idea how I'm going to get it, and what I'm going to do with it, but
after reading about it last night,
I thought it might be fun to play with. We'll see...

Bob

--
Vintage computers and electronics
www.dvq.com