ISO: PDP-11/40 LTC and Stack Limit options

william degnan billdegnan at gmail.com
Mon Nov 21 16:44:24 CST 2016

On Mon, Nov 21, 2016 at 4:58 PM, Jerry Weiss <jsw at ieee.org> wrote:

> > On Nov 21, 2016, at 2:13 PM, william degnan <billdegnan at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, Nov 21, 2016 at 2:37 PM, Josh Dersch <derschjo at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi all --
> >>
> >> I'm finally turning my attention back to my 11/40 (which I started
> working
> >> on 7 years ago and never quite got around to finishing -- I've learned a
> >> lot since then and I'm hoping to be able to debug it properly now).
> >>
> >> My ultimate goal is to run V6 or V7 UNIX on it -- I have the MMU but I'm
> >> looking for an M787 (line-time clock) and M7237 (stack limit register)
> >> complete the set.  I have other DEC stuff for trade, drop me a line...
> >>
> >> Thanks!
> >> Josh
> >>

> > Just curious, are you aware whether these two are required to boot a RL02
> > disk or certain versions of RT-11?  I have been experiencing
> difficulties,
> > I only have the m737 iinstalled in my system.
> > Bill
>

> RT11 will run w/o an LTC.
>
> TTBOMR the stack limit register is not need for Single Job and the
> other RT11 OS variants.  However a  program could overwrite the vector area
> and cause an ungraceful shutdown.      Make sure the jumpers on the KD11-A
> are set
> correctly for this configuration.
>
> Using an RL02 to boot RT11 should be okay as well.
>
> Jerry
> jsw at ieee.org

Not exactly what TTBOMR is but I can say that given zero luck booting RT-11
from an RL02 on my 11/40 my next move is to emulate a TU58 drive on a 2nd
serial card and run XXDP.    I can run BASIC with no problem, but it seems
like my known working (elsewhere) M7762 RT11 controller card does not wake
up when called by the bootstrap 9312 ROM, etc.