Reverse-engineering WD1000, WD1001 hard disk controllers

dwight dkelvey at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 20 00:06:36 CST 2016

I suspect Kip had a WD1002. It would have had a BIOS PROM on it. I used one of these on my NC4016 computer. I'd also purchased several 5Meg drives for about $5 ea as DOS no longer supported it. These worked fine for my NC4016. I used this to add new instructions to CM-Forth since the processor had a number of useful side effects. I could recompile CM-Forth in less than 15 seconds. Not that big a deal now days but in the time when the hot Intel processor was a 386, it was quite impressive.

Dwight